Tuesday, February 26, 2008

#18 YouTube

I discovered YouTube last fall when a fellow librarian sent me a link to a music video created by a fan of a miniseries which this libn and I were smitten with. It was fascinating to see how much "stuff" was on YouTube. I also began to notice YouTube links in the many blogs I had been visiting (posting on a few). I was blown away to find entire episodes of TV shows - added, I might add, in 9:59 increments, I suppose to get around copyright somehow. I watched an entire 2 hour British comedy this way. This was BEFORE the Democrat's YouTube debate; when Jon Stewart made some snarky comments about how only young people could actually see YouTube on an iPod or MP3 player and that many people didn't know how to enlarge the screen - well, I realized that I didn't - I had watched the entire show in the little preview size. Was I embarrassed. This is how I pick up most of my technology.

I admit feeling superior, however, when I showed my younger, IT-professional brother how to find stuff. He was looking for an Internet-based Romanian music station. I asked him what kind of music was typically "Romanian"; he mentioned "manele". So I typed that into YouTube and we found all sorts of examples. He was blown away. "I thought that was just for the "kids" at work watching dumb TV commercials", he said. Smirk.

None of this would have been possible had I not bought a macbook last summer and gotten wireless access. No wonder I read less in 2007 - or at least in book form. My wireless reception is REALLY GOOD on Saturday nights, when only geeks are using it.

No comments: